Taras Gorbul, founder and head of the marketing agency Superheroes.ua explained how the marketing agency had launched the first subscription to gadgets in Ukraine.
For many years we had been forced to think that only two of these options could be chosen. With this case, we have shown that it is actually possible to combine all three options: rapidness, high quality, and affordable prices.
Project: budu – subscription to gadgets.
Services: brand name, logo, identity, marketing strategy, website, merch, advertising campaign.
Working period: November 3-27, 2020.
This project had two difficulties.
1) The entire scope of work had to be done in a very short term because the customer wanted to launch the product before Black Friday. Thus, our team had less than a month to do everything, namely 24 days.
2) We needed to figure out how to sell a completely new service for the Ukrainian market. Ukrainians already understand what a subscription to YouTube or Netflix is, but how to subscribe to the gadget they still did not imagine. The peculiarity of the human brain is that the incomprehensible thing scares away. As marketers say: a poorly positioned product sells poorly. Therefore, we had to explain in a quick and simple manner the essence of the gadget subscription and its advantages over buying the same things on credit.
Customer business input
The amount of the monthly subscription fee starts from 1,459 UAH. When buying, for instance, iPhone 11 on credit in electronics shops, the payment is approximately the same. The key advantage of subscribing to a gadget over a credit is the fact that after a year of payments, you can exchange the gadget for a newer one for free. For example, you buy an iPhone 11 on credit: you pay it back for a year and as a result, you have your fully owned iPhone 11. However, during this year the model has already become obsolete. And if you get budu subscription, you also pay monthly for a year, you also use a smartphone from the very first day, but in a year you can exchange it for a new model for free. For example, you can replace iPhone 11 with iPhone 12.
This service is for people who care about always being in trend, with the latest gadgets, i.e. representatives of “the digital native generation”. And we needed to explain the value of the service in terms of this target audience. Therefore, we chose the tone of voice to promote the brand. It’s easy to feel in this video.
What we fulfilled:
1) We analyzed the main “weak points” of the target audience and showed in the promotional campaign how the service budu would solve them;
2) We improved the business model;
3) We found suppliers of equipment at the best price;
4) We made the site budu.in.ua simpler than a traditional online store. You do not need to open tabs and drop-down lists of features to select a model, a color, or the amount of memory. Here you can select a smartphone within seconds;
5) We negotiated with the representatives of Monobank and concluded a partnership agreement. Subscription payments are now available through payment in installments in three banks: Monobank, Privatbank, IdeaBank;
6) We added the possibility to sign an agreement with the bank directly on the site, without having to contact the bank branch;
7) We implemented the advertising campaign: filmed 20 promotional videos, made more than 60 creative features for online and offline channels of communication;
8) We printed covers for smartphones in our Super Case service. Each budu subscriber will receive a gadget in a branded cover.
Vladislav Dabizha, Superheroes Art Director: To develop the brand identity, we conducted an analysis of electronics sales and rental services. Our main task was to be different from competitors. That’s why we chose a harmonious but contrasting color scheme including orange and purple colors. They correspond to the bold idea of the brand. We chose the basis of the brand identity – minimalism, because it correlates with the idea of the service itself: no extra action to get the desired gadget.
The logo was made without the traditional capital letter at the beginning. This is the answer “Yes!” to simplicity and the answer “No!” to bureaucracy, which is associated with opening loans. At the end of the logo, a stylized dot illustrates the slogan “I will, and that’s final”. The font of the logo (grotesque) was designed in bold style using a single module. The dot shape repeats the modules of holes in letters. Thereby, the logo is massive but compact, expressive on any medium, and readable on any merch.
1) We launched the site on November 27. Within the first 3 days, we received 150 subscription applications;
2) With the help of the advertising campaign and communication on social networks with potential subscribers, we managed to break the prejudice that subscribing to a gadget is something strange and illogical;
3) With this case, we broke the stereotype that launching a brand is long, expensive, and difficult. Even if the product is completely new for the country.
Author: Taras Gorbul, founder and head of the marketing agency Superheroes.ua